Monday, June 7, 2010

Find the common factor

What do the following events all have in common?
A sliver 1/2 inch long
6 fillings
1 wisdom tooth removal
one bottom lip bitten completely through
3 days of vomit
1 dislocated elbow
2 VERY sunburned heads
one set of fingers slammed in a door
3 bloody toes
1 VERY sunburned back, shoulders, and arms
An eye infection causing an 8 DAY headache
Any ideas?

Unfortunately for the Madsen family, the common thread is that they all happened to our family in one week's time. SERIOUSLY!
The winners of listed events:
Kent- Kent visited the dentist for the first time in 5 years. I know, appalling- especially to our dental minded friends ( or maybe you are just jealous that you didn't get the payday!). Anyway, he went in for his cleaning and xrays and came out with 6 fillings and a wisdom tooth removal. He now believes he is a superior specimen because he had all that work done in one morning and then took one tylenol and spent the whole day in meetings at work. Then he came home demanding steak for dinner.
He also spent the weekend at youth conference and opted out of the sunscreen he packed- leaving his back, shoulders and arms fried! On the good side, we actually emptied the bottle of aloe that had been sitting in our fridge for the last 3 years. One more bottle out of my fridge!
Tyse-
Tyse was the one lucky enough to spend 3 days vomiting. There was a good side- it is the first time any of our kids have actually made it to the bathroom in time, so I didn't have to scrub any puke out of our carpet. The other good part is that no one else shared in the festivities.
He also had 2 of the 3 bloody toes- those genetic dry feet he gets from Kent. They look so painful when the crack open and bleed.
He got to claim one of the sunburned heads- Kent buzzed the boys bald last week and mom forgot sunscreen as well during the soccer game.
Lastly for Tyse, he had the giant sliver stuck in his hand. We were at the ladybug release party in our neighborhood and he got bumped by Ollie. He tried to catch himself on one of the garden boxes and slid his hand along it, leaving a GIANT sliver that had to be dug out. Dad was at youth conference, of course, so mom had no assisting surgeon and it took about a half hour to dig a ditch all the way around the sliver, then raise it up from underneath with the needle and removing ever so slowly with the tweezers. He was very brave.
Emitt-
Emitt got off easy for the week. He tried to pull a hanging toenail off and ended up with the other bloody toe, which really does hurt a lot. He also had the other sunburned head. I felt terrible because he kept saying to me over and over, "Mom, why did you forget my scun screen?" I do feel bad, but I am comforted by the fact he did have a hat and just flat refused to wear it. He also fell prey to his big brother on the sunburn. Sunday morning we were getting ready to walk out to church and I noticed 2 spots on his head that looked like they had literally peeled off the top of his skin. Luckily it didn't really bleed- just had the glossy weepy look to it, and apparently it didn't hurt because he didn't even notice they were there. The appearance was enough to make my stomach flip, though. Anyway, I asked him what happened and Tyse said that he was just trying to pick the dead skin off of Emitt's head (due to the sunburn.) Tyse was then informed that you have to wait for the skin to initiate the peeling itself- you don't just start scratching a sunburn until what you think may be dead skin finally scrapes off.At least his brother didn't notice.
Ollie-
Ollie had the roughest week of all. The same day as the filling/wisdom tooth event and puke day #2, Ollie fell on his carseat, hit his lip on the only hard plastic part on the front of it, and bit entirely through his bottom lip. Oh, the amount of blood. It looked like one of those Monte Python scenes where "blood" is being squirted through a watergun type thing for a great effect. I thought at first it had only cut the inside and that the blood from inside was just dripping underneath his lip because I couldn't get him to let me even come near his mouth. No such luck. Of course we weren't home- we were at Target- so I decided the better choice was to take him in the store to get some water and ice and then find a little bit of distraction. Unfortunately that didnt work either- and the wonderful Target employees brought us every item from their snack bar for free hoping that he would find something to cool or wash out the mouth. He wouldn't touch anything, but Tyse and Emitt loaded up on all the free everything. I think it was their favorite target trip ever. Anyway, the cut under his lip is almost all gone and not noticeable, but he still has a big white sore in his mouth from the inside cut.
A couple days later, we were at the children's museum and Ollie decided that he didn't want to stick with the group. I grabbed his hand and held it tight as we were walking back to the group. He decided to just pick up his feet so I would have to drag him, and POP! out went his elbow. Insert screaming. Luckily last time this happened I had the dr teach me how to set it myself, so after finally deciding it must be dislocated, I sat down with him and sure enough, POP! back in it went. I am still amazed how quickly he can recover from this- I am sure it stays sore for a couple days, but the crying stops almost instantly and he once again begins climbing and running and just being 2. Hopefully he grows out of this soon!
A couple days after that, he got his fingers stuck in a cabinet drawer. That was much less exicting.
Beka-
I had the "least" exciting week, with the most action. I got an eye infection, which is a side effect from my disease. These infections are placed way back behind the eye and cause MAJOR headaches that last as long as the infection lasts. Unfortunately, since it is caused by the autoimmune system, antibiotics nor any other medications really help. It lasted almost exactly 1 week- from a friday evening until a Saturday midday. That alone is miserable, but I had to deal with all the above items that same week.
I never thought I would wish for boring weeks, but may next week be much more boring.

8 comments:

Heather Keenan said...

Jeeze Beka would you stop hurting you kids? I'm so sorry you had to go through all that, wish I could have been there to help! Maybe if you weren't so tough things would get a little easier :) Hopefully next week's better!

Levi and Sandra said...

Oh my goodness. I am glad to hear things are hopefully slowing down. If you need a break, give me a call. I am home now and need excuses to leave the house. I hope you have a boring week too.

kjtroxel said...

ohhhhh...makes me sad. I am glad your stining headache finally went away!
Tell Kent to stop being so tough and use the sunscreen :)

Marci said...

Beka how dare you offer to babysit Miles while all of this is going on! You are really tough as nails, and I owe you BIG time!

Doug and Shayla said...

I'm so sorry Bek. You take the cake and so far this week doesn't sound much better. I LOVE you! Hang in there. :)

Unknown said...

BEKA!!! Oh goodness girl, I think you need a vacation. Let's have a girl's night out and soon!

Unknown said...

P.S. This is Amber. I just realized I'm logged in under Brandon. Whoops.

Livin La Vida Keto said...

Yikes! We also long for the boring and mundane at our house. I would like to say it gets better, but.......you have boys! Have fun this weekend!