Thursday, July 29, 2010

A little bit of Ollie

Ollie is joining the ranks of the noteworthy moments- to which we couldn't be more pleased. A couple weeks ago my sweet sister in law held a "boys camp" at her house for a week, during which all the Madsen boy cousins could come play. So we shipped all 3 boys off for an entire week! The point of this is that Ollie came back talking so much more often and more clearly than he had left a short 8 days earlier!

So on that note, we were driving the other day and drove past the temple. He always points them out, very excited about it. SO I ask who is on top, to which he replies "Moroni!" (before going to cousins camp he called him "mona"). I ask what Moroni is holding in his hand and he replies, "a french fry!" I have heard many kids interpret what Moroni holds- a gun, a lightsaber, a sword (clearly I only speak to boys), but french fry is new.
He has really enjoyed the fireworks this year. The first time we saw them this year was at our city celebration, and I don't think he remembered them at all from last summer. We went to the big concert they do in the evening and then afterward they start fireworks. He was SO excited when they started that he began fumbling around for the word for them and settled on "pokies." I absolutely LOVE hearing him call fireworks that. He has seen enough in the last month to where he has started to call them fireworks, but if they catch him by surprise or they are close by, he still gets overexcited and calls them "pokies." This is one I wish he would never stop using!
He has started using the bathroom! HOORAY for us! We are a LONG way away from being fully trained, but he has gone all day today with no accidents yet (it's only 2 pm) and yesterday he only had one. Maybe the end of diapers is in sight for the Madsen's!
He has now permanantly added the "rrr" sound to his pronunciation of truck. I am so relieved- given that "t" has been given the "f" sound. I can handle "fruck."
I know there is one more thing he has said I wanted to add... I may have to go back and add it later.
The last thing to add is a boy moment we had in our home about a month ago. Of course anything of epic proportions at our house includes Emitt, and this is no different.
I was on the phone taking care of some business one morning and the cordless phone began to die. I had to then resort to the corded phone in my bedroom upstairs, which I had done many times before. Keep in mind that as the phone rings for this particular call, I am currently mopping the kitchen floor. I quit mopping to go upstairs to finish the call. When I return downstairs about 10 minutes later, I walk into the kitchen to see Ollie licking the floor. My first feeling was, "at least it is freshly clean..." but I should have looked a little closer. There was this red liquid all over the freshly mopped kitchen floor. I stand there and try to put the puzzle together- where did this mysterious red goo come from? Then I see the pair of scissors. It is getting worse by the second. I see a piece of clear plastic, then another, than about 15 more. I realize this is an Otter Pop wrapper that has been cut into about 30 pieces. Ahhh! We really aren't out of otter pops like I thought! Apparently there was an unfrozen one somewhere that Ollie happened upon and decided to treat himself to. I curse my dead phone battery and grab a rag and go down on my hands and knees to clean it up, and then re-mop. This is when I notice Emitt sitting under the kitchen table, a smug smile on his face and bright blue all around his mouth. Right. Those adorable cinderella princess cupcakes the neighbor shared with us. Oh wait... is that one stuck to the bottom of the table? YUP. Emitt heard me coming and knew he would be in trouble, so the only thing he could do was reach up and STICK IT TO THE BOTTOM OF THE KITCHEN TABLE! This cupcake is just dangling there! It is then I decide to more fully take stock in the status of my kitchen. I find blue frosting down the microwave door (this should be a clue for my future), on the stovetop, down the oven door, and along the countertop by the sink. Now that I am seemingly focused on Emitt, Ollie decides this is his chance to run. He stands up and then I notice the remainder of his scissor skills... 4 large holes in the legs of his shorts. At this point I am so beyond even knowing who to scold or what to clean up I just take a seat. Luckily no cupcakes fell from the table. After recovering from that light headed please-tell-me-this-is-a-dream moment, I got to work cleaning up. I thought the moment had passed... that is until I tried to thaw the meat for dinner. Apparently along with eating a cupcake, Emitt needed to know what would happen if he put one in the microwave. Well, in case you are interested, the light blue frosting turns to sticky impossible to clean goo and the cupcake explodes and then bakes itself onto the walls of the microwave.
You have to have these moments to appreciate the pokies, don't you?

6 comments:

Joy said...

cracking up right now. At least I only have 1 boy!!

Nikki said...

I still am laughing! It was even funnier reading about this episode than having you tell me about it at dinner the other night.

It's true...your boys are REAL boys!

Love it!!!

kjtroxel said...

Oh my!!! I am exhausted after reading that...and cracking up!
Pokies...love it

Livin La Vida Keto said...

I can appreciate the drama boys generate. Jacob screamed at the top of his lungs in Costco once-when I was 9 months pregnant with Sarah and had Daniel in tow-"Please don't beat me! Please don't beat me mom!" I have never had so many looks of disapproval for being pregnant with another one before. One day, you will laugh. It may be when they call to tell you about their own children, but you will laugh!
We missed you for Pioneer Day in Cedar City. Good times. I put some pictures up on my blog.

Heather Keenan said...

lol, i love your stories! you should write a book about these last few years...

Unknown said...

Every time you post a new story I think it's better than the last. Thanks for keeping the entertainment coming (and my gratitude that my nephews are such darlings!) You are such a trooper!