
something posted for a change! Sorry- we have computer woes and I don't get much time to be on the computer at all anymore, so my time is usually limited to doing my church calling and paying bills. How fun!
Speaking of fun, Halloween was! OUr costuming this year... left a little to be desired, but I guess we were successful in nabbing those much-needed extra calories and made it home safe.
In case you are wondering what we are....
Emitt is a bat. I love that costume and had made it for tyse, but it hadn't stored really well and I didn't really have a great chance to spruce it up all that well. Oh well. it worked and still looked kinda cute on him!
Ollie is a chick popping out of an egg. All went ok for him except the pattern called for a sheet of foam that was too small for my front pack and I couldn't find any bigger. Unfortunately, the egg just didn't fit quite right. The other woe was that the hat I ordered 3 weeks early never got here in time, so I just had to make do by turning last year's lion hat inside out, try to tape the mane and ears down inside, and then put the top of the egg shell on that. It didn't work as well as I hoped, but with a smile like he has, he was still really adorable! Here is a picture of just him and I- this was post trick or treating and the lion mane was hanging out, and we had lost one of his slippers I made, but this is it nonetheless..jpg)
Tyse's costume is quite the story. He was completely noncommittal on costuming. Unfortunately for fools like me that attempt to trick themselves into thinking that it will be cheaper if I make the costume, the decision the night before isn't really feasible! So the week before Halloween I took him down to the Hobby Lobby and sat him in front of a pattern book and told him that if he planned on trick-or-treating, he had to pick ANYTHING out of this book. It was starting to look as though he would not be trick or treating when he happened upon one that he got so excited about. I looked at it and all it was was a big black cape and hood that covered his face completely. At that point I didn't care and we just scooped it up and took it home with the fabric and things to do it with. We showed it to Kent that night and his first reaction was "you are going to let Tyse be the Angel of Death for Halloween?". To which Tyse replied, "Dad, it's not an angel. It is a black pioneer. You know, like those pioneers that pulled the carts in the snow? He just has on all black clothes." So that is the origin of the costume, The Black Pioneer. Can't you now just all look at the picture and see it?
The last comment I have about this Halloween was how BEAUTIFUL the weather was! I don't remember ever having a halloween when you could actually comfortably sit on your porch and hand out candy and chat with the neighborhood. It was so great! That is one of my favorite things about this neighborhood- all the porches and the people that use them.
6 comments:
You are so creative Becca! I love the costumes. If I made my kids, you wouldn't be able to tell what they were. I love the story about Tyse. He is such a funny kid! Glad you had a fun Halloween.
Black pioneer, that's a riot! You are so crafty!
Crafty is right...I would have never attempted such things. Love the costumes!
Once again, I got a huge kick out of the black pioneer Tyse story. What a goof. I love the costumes and think they all look great.
Love the costumes. They turned out great! :) Way to go Bek!
Good for you for having such great costumes! (and making them yourself) Luckily for me our neighbor is also an amazing seamstress and so for the last two years she has provided great costumes for my kids. Otherwise they would be in dress up clothes or whatever else we could find.
Post a Comment