Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Tree hunt


After Tyse's birthday party, we braved the 6+ inches of snow (and still piling up) and loaded everyone into the car to go find our christmas tree! It took us about 1 1/2 hours to get to this new place we have never tried to go before, and it turned out to be the best place we have cut yet! Even though it was still snowing like crazy, the roads were really well maintained and we didn't even have to go off the highway to find a place to park and hike! The kids did great but after a while of hiking around, it was just getting too dark to see anyomore, so we loaded back up and went home, only to return the next morning to try again.
It was really beautiful and peaceful to be out in the woods when it was snowing so heavily, listening to christmas songs, and just being together as a family! We (I) have been really trying to simplify this season and not get so crazy about everything, and this was such a great chance to do that and just spend some time together without spending money or braving the crowds or anything like this. I am so grateful for a husband that likes to do these kinds of things with me, and is willing to pack up and do whatever I can't. What an amazing husband I have!
The highlight of the trip was when we tied the sled to Red the dog and then let Tyse sit in it and Red pulled him all over the road there. It was so funny! Tyse thought it was about the best ride he could ever try, and Red LOVES to pull and apparently LOVEs the snow, so it was great! The next morning was beautiful and since I hadn't been feeling all that wonderful, I sent Kent out tromping on the hunt and spent the time in the car getting the Kids all bundled up. WHen he thought he found the PERFECT tree, he came back for us and we all headed up to cut it down and haul it back to the car. Tyse's favorite part of the trip was trying to guess which way the tree would fall when Kent got through it, my favorite part was the simplicity of it all, and Kent's was finding the best tree we have ever cut AND watching Red run and play unbothered and unbridled. That was wonderful as well!

6 comments:

Johnsons said...

Wow, I am glad that we didn't have to deal with the snow, although it is beautiful. Your tree is very pretty. I love going to cut them down.
Sorry you haven't been feeling well. How much longer do you have? Hopefully it will get better soon. We will keep you in our prayers

Brandon and Amber said...

You are much braver than I am! I can't imagine dragging the kids through the snow while being very pregnant! Your tree is beautiful!

Melanie and Chauncey West said...

How fun to cut your own tree! I did that once growing up...it is a fantastic adventure! We bought ours from home depot...
Thanks for sharing.

Carolyn said...

You are a brave family! We cut ours down at Wal-Mart a couple of years ago. That way I can put it up before Thanksgiving!

THE CHASE FAMILY said...

Okay, so the one year when we don't go together to cut our tree and you find a beautiful one! You've been holding out on me. I absolutely LOVE the tree. We'll have to go next year for sure!

Chandler said...

What a fun adventure! The tree looks great and it sounds like you had a blast. We missed you over the holidays. Todd and Amy said you were doing well. I hope you are feeling ok. I hope you got our cookies we left for you at your mom's. Love ya!